Friday, December 14, 2012

Day 24 - Waterfall by horses

Last night I set out my camera to photograph the stars. Unfortunately the clouds moved I while we were sleeping and then it started to rain. I had to jump out of bed to rescue my camera. I was really hoping to get some nice shots of the stars with the volcano in the background, but it wasn't last night.

After breakfast the horses arrived for our horseback ride up to the waterfall. Tegan got a horse name Mariposa, Correen had a horse names Raton and my horse's name was Conejo. We started off at 9:30 am. Elliot started with me for the first 10 minutes, but switched over to our guide's horse as there was more room. I am sure Conejo didn't mind the weight reduction. We descended the driveway to the main road and took a left, passing by the beach we were at the day before and continuing for about another 2 kms before entering a the grounds of a research farm.

From there we started our ascent of the volcano following a trail through citrus trees. The guide led the way with Correen following. Conejo and Mariposa lagged behind and went their own pace on hill sections. Despite my words of Spanish encouragement, Conejo stalled when it came to downhill sections. I even got off of her to give her a break, but I couldn't budge her. I concluded that riding was more productive than pulling and stayed with that for the remainder of the journey. Tegan and I caught up to Mom and Elliot, they had already dismounted and were ready to do the hike to the waterfall.

The hike started off on a riverbed and then into a small canyon. It was very lush, rocky and moderately steep. We made the waterfall in 10 minutes or so and that sight was awesome. Literally that is what was first uttered by Elliot and then a minutes later when Tegan saw the same sight. The San Ramón waterfall is 50m in height and because of the dry season is a little less impressive. Correen and the kids went to the pool below the waterfall to stick their feet in the water. I did my best effort to photograph the waterfall from a vantage point on a large boulder. There was also a dead python lying on the site and the guide picked it up to remove it to the fringes.

We only spent about 15 minutes there and decided to return to the horses. I am not sure Conejo was happy to see me but that's the life of a trail horse. On the descent Tegan and I led the group back down the volcano. Where we were at the waterfall was only part way up the volcano and not the actual trail to climb it. The waterfall is also fed from a lake that rest in the crater of the volcano and you can actually swim in its waters.

As soon as we hit the road Conejo and Mariposa set off on a race. Conejo just entered into a gallop and I quickly held him back as I didn't want Mariposa to follow suit with Tegan riding. When we reach Finca Mystica we were all happy to have enjoyed the horseback riding and happy to have ceased the horseback riding. Now it was time to hydrate and rest for a while. I went to take a shower and ended up lying down for a 4 hour nap in the 30C cabana. Correen, Tegan and Elliot went down the driveway to the house at the juncture with the main road. There, Tegan and Elliot shared some clothes and books they brought from home to give away. When I finally woke up from my nap I was feeling a little off and decided to skip dinner entirely. We made our taxi arrangements for the next day and Correen and the kids made their dinner choices for the evening meal.

This was the third evening in a row for a splendid sunset and talking with guests of the retreat. Tomorrow we decided to head to Granada and see the old city instead of any other activities on the island. The kids got to try some more homemade baked goods and a homemade chocolate before bed.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

We're ready to hear from you!